Friday, April 24, 2009

Rhubarb! Scrumpdelecious!



Rhubarb stirs pleasant childhood memories in my soul. A freshly pulled stalk, wiped clean on my shorts or shirt, and popped into my mouth produced an unforgettable sweet/sour taste that I can actually feel in my mouth as I think about it. Remember how those glands on either side of your mouth react to sour tastes? I can feel it now.


My mom had a big patch of rhubarb along a fence row bordering her rather huge garden. She created lots of rhubarb treats through the spring while it was crisp, tender, and TART!


Rhubarb, fresh cut, combined with juicy red strawberries, then tucked between two crusts and baked for 50 minutes at 425 F produced my first pie for the spring season.

My husband, David, and I, each savored a warm, juicy slice with glasses of cold milk.


I planted a pot of Canadian Red Rhubarb in a plant bed last spring. I had access to some composted horse manure and worked that into the soil at the time. Then a couple of weeks ago I dug some rich humus soil in around the plant. Although our spring has been cold and wet, the rhubarb has thrived. So Tuesday, I pulled all the largest stalks and made a pie. Pulling large stalks stimulates the plant to produce more.
Composted horse or cow manure is a good amendment to any soil. Check out your local garden supply for bags or if you are fortunate, perhaps a neighbor has a pile near the horse barn. Composed manures are odor free, so you can use them near the house or wherever you need them.
No compost available? There are many alternatives including Proven Winners plant foods.

Back to childhood memories. Our next door neighbor's rhubarb patch flourished near our gravel drive. The leaves on those plants were so large, they served as umbrellas on rainy childhood days. I wonder if little girls still make umbrellas from rhubarb leaves and splash in the puddles?

No comments:

Post a Comment