Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Drought Resistant Wildflowers

Wildflowers create a riot of color in the garden. Every region of our great country has its indigenous wildflowers. The Midwest is blessed with coneflowers, oxeye daisies, rudbeckias, false indigo, columbine, hollyhocks, and many others.




They dig deep into the soil and draw moisture from the depths, making them drought resistant plants. I keep one plant bed for daylilies, bulbs, wildflowers, and other self-seeding flowers. Because they are self-seeding, I can't mulch to control weeds, so weeds usually get ahead of me in the spring.

My wildflower bed is springing to life with new plants, so it is time to clean out the dried stalks from last year's flowers. I leave coneflowers, rudbeckies, and hollyhock stocks, etc. standing through the winter months. Seed heads provide food for winter birds and interesting architectural elements in the snow.

The dried stalks break off easily at ground level; then I rake them into piles and gather them for disposal. If you compost, add them to the compost heap, but only if they are disease free. If they are diseased, burn them or dispose of them away from your garden area. I put mine on a burn pile.

I'll enjoy bouquets on the table from now until frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment